The applications to the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the Sciences Po Summer School are now open.
APPLY TO THE MASTERCARD FOUNDATION SCHOLARS PROGRAM
Scholarships for the 2018/2019 academic year are awarded in collaboration with a network of partner institutions authorised to nominate candidates. Only applicants studying in one of Sciences Po’s partner institutions can ask for a letter of recommendation.
Candidates must apply online on the dedicated website. There are two steps to the application:
- First, candidates provide personal information and a letter of recommendation from the Sciences Po partner institution which is supporting their application through the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program.
- After this first step to assess eligibility, applicants receive an email inviting them to complete the rest of the application: information on their financial situation, their educational background and extra-curricular experiences, and their plans for the future.
Eligibility for the scholarship is determined in light of candidates’ academic record and socio-economic situation.
APPLICATION FEE WAIVER
Eligible candidates will receive email notification that they can apply online without having to pay the application fee.
Important: eligibility for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program does not guarantee admission to Sciences Po, which entails a separate application process.
APPLY TO SCIENCES PO
AWARD OF THE SCHOLARSHIP
Applications for the Mastercard Foundation scholarship will be considered only for candidates admitted to Sciences Po at the end of the admission process.
Important: admission to Sciences Po does not guarantee award of the scholarship. In case of a deferral, the Mastercard Foundation scholarship will be lost.
MASTERCARD FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIPS
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at Sciences Po aims to support 120 talented African studentsthrough their studies and to offer the next generation of leaders a world-class social science education, so they can go on to become changemakers in their home countries.
Over six years (2017 – 2022), the Scholars Program will fund:
- 20 scholarships to complete the Sciences Po Bachelor of Arts programme, Africa specialisation
- 40 scholarships to complete a Master’s programme at one of our seven graduate schools
- 60 scholarships reserved for Mastercard Foundation Scholars studying at other partner universities and who would like to attend Sciences Po Summer School.
Application deadlines for the Mastercard Foundation Scholarships are:
- Bachelor: January 31, 2019
- Master: January 15, 2019
- Summer School: February 18, 2019
FINANCIAL AID & CAREER PREPARATION
The scholarships are awarded to students from sub-Saharan African countries with an outstanding academic record and strong leadership potential, but who face financial and other barriers to higher education.
The scholarships are awarded for a period of three years for the Bachelor’s degree, two years for the Master’s degree and one month for the Summer School. They cover the full cost of tuition fees at Sciences Po and living costs in France during the study period.
As well as funding their studies, Sciences Po will offer scholars a specific suite of resources to ensure they have appropriate academic support and to facilitate their transition from education to employment:
- An orientation programme and individualised academic advising throughout their studies at Sciences Po
- A mentor programme offered in collaboration with the Africa Division of Sciences Po Alumni
- Career guidance and support: an online job platform dedicated to professional opportunities in Africa (internships and first jobs), access to our business incubator and the network of employers and alumni working in Africa, and specific career workshops.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA AND SELECTION PROCESS
Scholarships for the 2019/2020 academic year are awarded in collaboration with a network of partner institutions authorised to nominate candidates. For more information on the application and selection process and dates, please refer to the section How to apply.
The Mastercard Foundation works with forward-looking organisations to provide greater access to education, training and financial services for economically disadvantaged people, primarily in Africa. As one of the world’s largest private foundations, its mission is to advance education and promote financial inclusion in order to forge an inclusive and equitable world. The Foundation is based in Toronto, Canada, and has operated independently of Mastercard International since its inception in 2006.
Sciences Po is the first university in continental Europe to join the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program. Within this international network, 27 prestigious institutions in Africa, America and Europe are committed to ensuring that all young people, whatever their background, have the same opportunities to get a quality education and fulfil their potential.