– Director of the Scientific Information and Communication, Benin Centre for Scientific Research and Innovation Researcher, since 2015
– Coordinator of the project ‘Piloting a sustainable system to collect and disseminate agro-meteorological information for farmers to adapt to the harmful effects of climate change’ – since March 2017 – in partnership with UNEP Technical University of Denmark Partnership, UNFCCC Climate Technology Centre and Network (CTCN)
– Member of the Bureau of the Task Force on National Greenhouse Gas Inventories (TFI) of the IPCC (representing IPCC region I: Africa), http://www.ipcc-nggip.iges.or.jp/org/overview.html (since 2015)
– Member of UNFCCC roster of experts, involved in the UNFCCC Mitigation, Data and Analysis (MDA) Programme activities as review expert, lead reviewer, review officer for the technical review of GHG inventories, initial reports, annual submissions, national communications, biennial reports, biennial update reports (ICA process), forest reference levels (REDD+), since 2004.
– Member of the Afforestation/Reforestation Working Group as support structure of the Executive Board of the CDM.
– GHG Inventory Team Leader of the National Committee on Climate Change of Benin
– Member of the Designated National Authority of Benin for the Clean Development Mechanism
– Active expert of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) as lead author, author of discussion paper, reviewer, chair of break out groups, editorial board member, data provider, and speaker (since 2002)
– Work experience with the UNFCCC, FAO, PNUD and PNUE in both developing and developed countries
– Trainer in different regions: Africa, Asia-Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean on climate change related issues;
– Participation in several national and international technical and scientific meetings on climate change
– Reviewer scientific journals e.g. Ecological Modelling, Silva Fennica, Journal of Ecology and The Natural Environment (JENE)
– Coordinator of the regional project ‘Technical assistance for sustainable national greenhouse gas inventory management systems in West Africa – Benin, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Côte d’Ivoire Ghana, Senegal and Togo – (2014– 2016) – in partnership with the UNFCCC, US Department of the Interior, US Environmental Protection Agency, FAO, GIZ, UNEP/UNDP
– Coordinator of the project ‘Quantification, modelling, and monitoring of forest carbon stocks in Benin, West Africa’, (2013–2016) – in partnership with the Global Climate Change Alliance (GCCA) and the Permanent Interstate Committee for Drought Control in the Sahel (CILSS)
– Visiting scientist at the Finnish Forest Research Institute (METLA), Finland currently changed to Natural ResourcesInstitute Finland (2009–2011)
– One year internship in the IPCC GHG Inventory Programme, the Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES), Japan (2005–2006)
03 BP 2048 Cotonou – Benin
Tel: 00229 95059391
– 2012: PhD – Environmental Sciences; “Methods and tools for estimating carbon dynamics in tropical forest ecosystems in Benin, West Africa” (in Finland and Benin).
– 1999: MSc. degree – Environmental management and water quality.
– 1997: BSc. degree in Physics-chemistry, Univ. of Abomey Calavi (Benin).
– 1995: Post graduate diploma in Physics-Chemistry, Univ. of Abomey Calavi (Benin).
– 1991: Secondary school – A Level degree, Benin (baccalaureat serie C – mathematics and physics).
– 1977–1983: Primary school, Benin
SKILLS, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH INTEREST
Chemistry, forestry, agriculture, climate change, deforestation, forest degradation, sustainable forest management, conservation of forest carbon stocks, enhancement of forest carbon stocks, greenhouse gas inventories, climate change mitigation actions.
SELECTED GEOGRAPHICAL REGION OF EXPERIENCE
Sub-Saharan Africa, South East Asian, South America and Caribbean
EXPERIENCE IN RESEARCH
National Projects, United Nations projects (e.g. UNFCCC, UNDP, UNEP), regional projects (e.g. CILSS), EU Research projects, US projects (US EPA, US Department of the Interior)
UNFCCC roster of experts
UNEP roster of experts
UNDP roster of experts
Afforestation/Reforestation Working Group of the CDM
SELECTED HONORS AND AWARDS
Nobel Peace Prize 2007 given to the IPCC in recognition for my contributions to the IPCC work (I share the Prize with IPCC colleagues around the globe)
– Goussanou C.A., Guendehou S., Sinsin B. Spatial and temporal variation of black cotton soil organic carbon in Guinean forest zone in West African. Tropical Ecology 58 (4): 823-832, 2017.
– Goussanou C.A., Guendehou S., Assogbadjo A.E., Sinsin B. (2017). Application of site-specific biomass models to quantify spatial distribution of stocks and historical emissions from deforestation in a tropical forest ecosystem. Journal of Forestry Research, DOI 10.1007/s1 1676-017-0411-x. ISSN 1007-662X.
– Goussanou C.A., Guendehou S., Assogbadjo A.E., Kaire M., Sinsin B., Cuni-Sanchez A. (2016). Specific and generic stem biomass and volume models of tree species in a West African tropical semi-deciduous forest. Silva Fennica vol. 50 no. 2 article id 1474. 22 p.
– GHS Guendehou, A Lehtonen, M Moudachirou, R Mäkipää & B Sinsin (2012): Stem biomass and volume models of selected tree species in West Africa, Southern Forests: a journal of Forest Science, 74:2, 77–88.
– R. Mäkipää, J. Liski, S. Guendehou, R. Malimbwi, and A. Kaaya. Soil carbon monitoring using surveys and modelling – General description and application in the United Republic of Tanzania. FAO Forestry Paper 168. FAO 2012, ISBN 978-92-5-107271-4 ISSN 0258-6150
– G.H.S. Guendehou, J. Liski, M. Tuomi, M. Moudachirou, B. Sinsin and R. Mäkipää. Decomposition and changes in chemical composition of leaf litter of five dominant tree species in a West African tropical forest. Tropical Ecology 55 (2): 207-220, 2014.
– Guendehou, G. H. S., Liski, J., Tuomi, M., Moudachirou, M., Sinsin, B., and Mäkipää, R.: Test of validity of a dynamic soil carbon model using data from leaf litter decomposition in a West African tropical forest, Geosci. Model Dev. Discuss., 6, 3003-3032, doi:10.5194/gmdd-6-3003-2013, 2013.
– Guendehou, G. H. Sabin & Lehtonen, Aleksi. 2014. Guidance for tree measurement in tropical forest ecosystems using non-destructive sampling to develop stem biomass and volume models. Metlan työraportteja / Working Papers of the Finnish Forest Research Institute 287. 10 s. ISBN 978-951-40-2465-8 (PDF).
– Guendehou, G. H. Sabin & Mäkipää, Raisa. 2014. Approach to data collection for soil carbon modelling in Benin. Metlan työraportteja / Working Papers of the Finnish Forest Research Institute 290. 10 s. ISBN 978-951-40-2469-6 (pdf).
– S. Rüter, G. Alfredsen, F. de Aquino Ximenes, S. Guendehou, K. Pingoud, Y. Tsunetsugu, and P. A. McCusker.2013 Supplementary Methods and Good Practice Guidance arising from the Kyoto Protocol – Chapter 2: Methods for estimation, measurement, monitoring and reporting – section 2.8 Harvested wood product.
– G.H.S. Guendehou (2007). Uncertainty Analysis as Basis for Improving the Quality of Inventory Data in the Land-Use, Land Use Change and Forestry sector: case study of Benin, In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Uncertainty in Greenhouse Gas Inventories, IIASA, Laxenburg, Austria, 27-28 September 2007, pp. 61-68 [DOI: 10.13140/2.1.1732.3524]
– G.H.S. Guendehou (2006). Land-Use Changes and Greenhouse Gas Fluxes: Scientific Understanding and Contribution to Improving Methodologies for Greenhouse Gas Inventory in Benin. IGES, Hayama, Japan, 112 pp. Institute for Global Environmental Strategies, Japan, January 2006. [DOI: 10.13140/2.1.4615.9363]
– R. Pipatti, C. Sharma, M. Yamada, J. Wagner Silva Alves, Q. Gao, G.H.S. Guendehou, M. Koch, C. López Cabrera, K. Mareckova, H. Oonk, E. Scheehle, A. Smith, P. Svardal, and S.M.M. Vieira – Volume 5: Waste – Chapter 2: Waste Generation, Composition and Management Data. IPCC 2006, pp. 23..
– G.H.S. Guendehou, M. Koch, L. Hockstad, R. Pipatti and M. Yamada. 2006 IPCC Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories – Volume 5: Waste – Chapter 5: Incineration and Open Burning of Waste. IPCC 2006, pp.26.
– G.H.S. Guendehou (2005). Contribution to the Development of Benin-specific Emission Factor for Land Transport, In: Proceedings of the fourth International Symposium on Non-CO2 Greenhouse Gases (NCGG-4): Science, Control, Policy and Implementation, Utrecht, The Netherlands, 4-6 July 2005, pp. 273-276. Millpress, Rotterdam, ISBN 90 5966 0439, July 2005. [DOI: 10.13140/2.1.3436.2883]
– G.H.S. Guendehou and E.D. Ahlonsou (2003). Greenhouse Gas Inventories in West Africa: Relevant Issues and Strategy for Improving the Quality, In: Proceedings of the Third International Methane & Nitrous Oxide Mitigation Conference, Beijing, China, Nov 2003, pp. 709-714. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency & China Coal Information Institute, November 2003.
– G.H.S. Guendehou, and E.D. Ahlonsou (2003). Situation in Republic of Benin with regard to Greenhouse Gas Emissions Mitigation, In: Proceedings of the Third International Methane & Nitrous Oxide Mitigation Conference, Beijing, China, Nov 2003, pp. 753-757. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency & China Coal Information Institute, November 2003.
– G.H.S. Guendehou, and E.D. Ahlonsou (2002). Contribution to Non-CO2 greenhouse gases inventory for Cotonou (Republic of Benin): waste sector, In: Proceedings of the Third International Symposium on Non-CO2Greenhouse Gases: Scientific Understanding, Control Options and Policy Aspects, Maastricht, The Netherlands, Jan 2002, pp. 79-81. Millpress, Rotterdam, ISBN 90-77017-70-4, January 2002.
– G.H.S. Guendéhou et al. (2007). Manuel de Procédures pour la Gestion des Inventaires de Gaz à Effet de Serre au Bénin (Manual of Procedures for the Management of Greenhouse Gas Inventories in Benin). Projet PNUD/FEM RAF02/G31, Cotonou, Bénin, 63 pp..
– G.H.S. Guendéhou et al. (2016). Manuel de Procédures pour la Préparation et la Gestion des Inventaires Nationaux de Gaz à Effet de Serre – Benin (Manual of Procedures for the Preparation and the Management of Greenhouse Gas Inventories – Benin). Project UNEP/GEF N° GFL-5070-4C96-2724-2202, Cotonou, Bénin, 46 pp.
LAST UPDATED ON: SEPTEMBER 26, 2018